Saturday, November 29, 2008

November 29, 2008

Amaree survived the trip to SLC and back. Her eyes are doing great, and the doctor said that he couldn't be more pleased, but they are still not fully mature (almost!) and so we have to go back one more time. The exam is really awful, I haven't seen it, but I have heard about it from the nurses and from Amaree. She screams and screams, it is so hard to listen to, and then when I get her back, her eyes have red marks from the prongs that have been holding her eyes open.

It is a really circus trying to get her anywhere with the oxygen and with the monitors and cables and tubes. We don't move much around the house, but when we have to go somewhere (doctors) it really takes it's toll.

We are having some wonderful times attempting to get Amaree to take her medicine. Everyone warned us that she wouldn't like her vitamins, but she seems to handle that okay. It is the reflux meds that she hates. She makes faces, and chokes and spits, and Andrew and I have been working really hard to be creative in ways to give her the medicine without all the drama. We have tried putting it in a nipple with a little milk, shooting it down her throat with a little syringe, and just putting it in her mouth. She hates the flavor so much that she holds it in her mouth instead of swallowing it, and then when she does swallow it, she chokes. Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Sammie said...

We used to wait to give whitney medicine until she was asleep.

Toni Moosmann said...

glad to hear that everything is going well! happy to hear that she is doing well! she is adorable!! love seeing the smile. hugs to you all!

Toni

Lex-a-roo said...

wow... that is really rough trying to get babies to take meds. I think the shoot it down the throat with a syringe is the best... I'll research it a little and see if I come up with anything... Love you all.
~Lexie

Anonymous said...

I ran across your blog from a friends blog. I too had a premature baby. I feel for you. He was not as early as your little one. We came home with oxygen and heart monitors which was not fun, but we got use to them real fast. The medicine thing, when we left the NICU the nurse told us to put it in his breastmilk bottle that he got once a day and he did not even seem to mind. So I say a small bottle enough to dilute the taste of the vitamins. They are yucky!

Good luck, and I promise things get better. I takes them so long to catch up. My baby is 16 months and barely crawling. Be patient with her she will do great! OH, BTW my baby is also grown super fast at his 15 month check up he was 90% on length and weight.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jessica,
Our little guy came to us with oxygen and a sleep apneia machine and very little instructions as how to operate either one of them. Peterson Medical out of Vernal was extremely helpful in regards to the oxygen machine like bathing instructions, removal of the sticky pads (so they wouldn't irritate or tear his skin), changing out the tanks, and how to get around with the bulky tanks, and most of all how to understand the pulsox lingo. Home Health out of the Basin was also very helpful with the sleep apneia machine that always chose to go off in the middle of the night only. UBMC Respratory was also very helpful as well. But back to your question of suggestions as to how to get your little one to take her nasty meds. They have binky's that are designed to help with that very thing, and are sold at Walmart. Good luck, please call if you need anything. Best wishes to you, Andrew and most of all to Amaree. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Becky M.