Wednesday, October 1, 2008

October 1, 2008

I love this picture of her sucking on her Binky and her hand over it, keeping it in. She loves that thing.

First, I would like to apologize for not getting this updated yesterday! Somehow the day just escaped us and we didn't get it updated.

Here is the latest on Amaree: She is doing really well. They have increased her feedings, to 27 Cal and 22 ml. This means that they are fortifying the milk and giving her some extra fat. The past two days she has spent one hour each day with the Binky! She really enjoys it and it is really good for her to be strengthening those muscles. This is really encouraging for us.

She still has a lot of secretions, but partially it is from the ventilator. Her settings are still the same, but they started her on Caffeine again so they are hoping to start weaning again. The nurse said she is doing really well on breathing on her own for a few minutes. They turn the ventilator off for a few minutes when they do cares to listen to her lungs and her stomach and see how she is doing, and she does really well when they stop the machine. She just needs to get a little stronger!

She weighs about the same, and that is why they have added some extra calories to the milk. They want her to get bigger.

Amaree also had another blood transfusion yesterday. They said she is doing much better now that she had it. She looks better and is feeling better. They have to give her blood quite frequently, I don't know how much she has had, but I know that she has quite a few. One of the reasons that they have to give her blood is that she doesn't make enough just yet to cover what they take. They are always taking a little here and a little there to test blood gases, hematocrits, etc. They don't take much, but she doesn't have much, so she always does better when she gets a little boost.

Amaree also had a routine eye exam today. We don't have the results of it just yet, but the results from her head ultrasound came back normal. The eye exam is just routine, to make sure that there are no problems, so I am not too concerned about it.

Also, I don't think I told about this, but one of the nurses told us that she had to change Amaree's IV. She started to do the prep work, and Amaree was awake. She said that Amaree knew what was happening, and gave the nurse a look that said, "Please don't do it!". The nurse said, "I'm sorry, but I have to, honey." Then Amaree puckered her lower lip and pouted! The nurse said that in all her years there she has never had a baby do that and it broke her heart to have to poke her to get that IV in.

So since we didn't get things posted yesterday, here is another fun video and a few pictures:


We don't get to see her with her eyes open very much, but she was really alert this day, so here she is!


We took her Binky out and she started to suck on her thumb. I know that this is pretty common, but it was the first time that we had seen it. We thought that it was pretty cool!


Here she is, resting peacefully.

1 comment:

Leticia.Mitchell said...

I love this girl, she is doing so much better, and I think she has her mother's eyes.